Stroud Local History Society is run by a committee of volunteers in Stroud, Gloucestershire
We have a legal duty to protect any information we collect from you. We use technologies and encryption software to safeguard your data. We recognise, however, that this medium can never be fully secure and you should be aware of this when you use the website.
If you make an enquiry via the SLHS website
- In order to answer research questions, your enquiry may be passed on to our members, including your contact details, so that those with relevant information can reply to you. Please advise us if you do not want your enquiry sent on.
- We will keep your enquiry in a backroom register, together with any answers
- If you permit us – we will keep your email address with your enquiry in order to send you any further information that may be available at a later date.
- If you permit us – we may put your enquiry on our website (you will be anonymous)
Website usage information
Cookies are pieces of data created when you visit a website. The cookies our site uses are “session cookies”, which means that your “preferences”, are stored temporarily while you move around the site. You can set your computer not to accept cookies. However, if you do this, you will not be able to use www.stroudlocalhistorysociety.org.uk because we need to record your preferences in order to give you the information you need during your visit. Session cookies are deleted when you leave the site. They do not contain any personal information about you, and do not hold any information about which sites you visited before this website
Log files allow us to record visitors’ use of the site. We keep log file information collected from all our visitors, which we use to make changes to the layout of the site and to the information in it, based on the way that visitors move around it. Log files do not contain any personal information or information about which other sites you have visited.
The website collects visitor statistics including IP addresses
What happens when I link to another site?
Members of Stroud Local History Society
We use the information you provide on our membership form – name, address, phone number, email address – to send you information about events arranged by or for SLHS, news, other invitations and enquiries, to distribute our newsletter and send out renewal reminders.
If you give us an email address we can send you news, enquiries etc, as we received them. We can keep our costs down on postage by using email to send you our newsletters, however we can post it to you if you ask us to.
Without email, you will only receive the newsletter by post.
Without a phone number we cannot contact you at short notice.
Members need only give their name. Other information is optional, but we will not be able to communicate with you without it
- The membership list (a locally-stored database) is updated by the Membership Secretary. A printed copy, with the details needed, is only available to committee members who need it to communicate with you.
- If you do not renew your subscription then your details are removed from the current membership and mailing lists.
- We only contact you if we have something to say.
- At any time you can ask for the details we have about you, and we will correct any inaccuracies or remove the information
- We will ask all members to complete a new membership form in October 2018. In subsequent years, if a subscription is paid it will be deemed as renewing membership. Only in cases where members wish to update their details will it be necessary to complete a new form.
- Your email address will not be disclosed to others on our mailing list
All data we collect comes directly from you
In order to inform you about the meetings, visits and events that you can access as a member we need to store and process a certain amount of personal data
How we use your information: to provide you with events and information; and for planning and management of the Society
- Membership – name, address, phone number, email address; as above
- Attendance – names at meetings – to count members and non-members
- For visits and special meetings: Names and phone numbers- as numbers are limited and the events need to be planned, and in case of last minute information (but not kept beyond the event)
- Mailing list – to communicate with you and provide you as a member with our regular publications, news and meeting reminders. Only members are eligible to be on the mailing list
- Donors of items to collection – in a backroom register, for provenance
- Names on photos – in a backroom register, to aid future researchers
We will only share your information
- Internally to committee members or members to enable organisation of an event
- If we have statutory duty to disclose it for legal and regulatory reasons
And if someone wants to contact you – we will ask you to contact them.
Contacting Stroud Local History Society
If you wish to see our records of any correspondence you have sent to us, or if you have comments about the policy or the website, you can contact a committee member or use the contact us form on the SLHS website