On this page are:
- Cainscross – The Lake at The Lawn
- History of co-operation in Cainscross and district : a souvenir in commemoration of the jubilee of the Cainscross & Ebley Co-operative Society, 1863-1913
- Ebley Mill history Ebley Mill – see the virtual tour on Flickr
- Ebley Mill, Marling and Evans
Cainscross & Ebley Co-operative Society Diamond Jubilee commemorative platter 1863 – 1923. Courtesy of G Gyde
You can download a pdf of a commemorative booklet here:
It includes a history of the area, other cooperative societies and has some pictures.
Archive of memorabilia donated to SLHS by Janet Grist in December 2014. The originals are now at Gloucestershire Archives, reference D13896 accession 13896.
In 1933, Mr Albert John Dee retired. He had been a teacher, then Headmaster, at Cainscross Church of England School, since 1891.
In the early 1980s his son Brian Tyler Dee wrote to the Stroud News and Journal to ask for stories and photographs from old pupils. Old photos and many letters were sent to him as a consequence. His planned biography of his father was never written and in early 2015 we were given all the papers by his daughter Janet Grist.
We made an inventory, Cainscross school inventory and biographical note,
and these are class photographs (click to enlarge):
Eric Dee’s pictures
Eric was Albert’s eldest son
These are in the Museum in the Park’s store
from papers donated to SLHS by J Grist: click to enlarge
Cainscross school children 1932
Cainscross Church Choir 1909
Cainscross Church wedding 1930
Photos donated by J Grist – many are undated
Archie Boucher, organist at Cainscross Church – Comley studio portrait (so before 1919)
Cainscross church choir 1931
Cainscross church postcards 1910 to 1920
Click here for centenary booklet pdf
- Possible derivation of Cainscross from Keynes family
- Building of the church
- Subscribers and contributors: land from Mr Drew and Mr Cooke, 300 loads of stone from Major Snow Paul, timber, hauling, Communion Plate, cloth, and cash. Several local well known names.
- The consecration of the church
- Principle alterations and additions to the church
- The windows; Memorials; The organ; The Bells
- The churchyard
- Vicars, curates, churchwardens, organists, church council, patrons
- The vicarage
- The schools (at The Retreat from about 1826 to 1877, then on a site given by Rev J G Uwins, near the church 1877 to 1984), Sunday school
- Charities – Cosham, Strachan, Uwins. The orphan fund
Pictures from the booklet:
Found during 2014 search of Citizen archive.
Click on the pictures to enlarge
From Cainscross to Stonehouse
Photos from Gerald Arthur
1934 – Twins Meriel & Pamela Arthur in back row 2nd & 4th from right
1935 – Year of George 5th’s Silver Jubilee
Extreme right in back row, Gerald Arthur aged 9yrs
Front row, 2nd from left is John Addy
Third row back, 3rd from right is Betty Tanner
1935 – Twins Meriel & Pamela Arthur 3rd row from front, 2nd and 3rd from right
Complied by Pauline Stevens and Marion Hearfield 2015